Smiles are one of the best features of a person – one that is instantly recognisable and noticed by the person talking to you. It can be said that a smile is the most valuable treasure one can have – hence, protecting that treasure is a job of utmost importance. The people who are in the business of protecting our smiles are thus one of the most important gatekeepers of society.
If you’ve ever dreamed of being in this business of protecting people’s smiles as a dentist, you might know about the BDS course that trains professional dentists in India. In this blog, we will explore this dental course in more detail, and find out about its admission process in the best BDS colleges in UP and other states. So, stick around till the end.
BDS is a 5-year degree program in dentistry, out of which 4 years are for academic study and one year is reserved for compulsory internships. BDS colleges in Uttar Pradesh and other states of India offer this course to prepare students for the practice of professional dentistry and impart knowledge and skills in research, teaching and management in the field. The course also involves practical training in various dental clinics and hospitals in the compulsory internship period so that students can train their practical skills.
For more information regarding this course at the best BDS colleges in UP, check out the table below.
|Course Name||Bachelor of Dental Surgery|
|Duration||5 years (4+1)|
|Mode of Examination||Semester System|
|Eligibility Criteria||50% or more in 10+2 with PCB|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam (NEET)|
|Common Subjects||Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Pathology, Dental Materials, Oral Pathology, Oral Medicine, Oral Surgery, Prosthodontics, Orthodontics, Periodontics, Pedodontics, Endodontics, Community Dentistry, etc.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 1 – 6 LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 4 – 10 LPA|
To apply for the BDS course at government and private dental colleges in UP and other states, you need to fulfil the following eligibility criteria:
- You must have passed a 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognised board with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as compulsory subjects.
- You must have scored at least 50% marks in aggregate in Physics, Chemistry and Biology (40% for SC/ST/OBC candidates).
- You must have appeared for and passed the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) or any other entrance exam recognized by the Dental Council of India (DCI).
- You must be at least 17 years of age as of December 31 of the year of admission.
To apply for the BDS course at the best BDS colleges in UP and elsewhere, you need to follow these steps:
- Register for NEET or any other entrance exam recognized by DCI.
- Fill up the online application form with your personal and academic details.
- Pay the application fee and upload the required documents.
- Download and print the admit card for the entrance exam.
- Appear for the entrance exam on the scheduled date and time.
- Check your result and rank on the official website of the exam conducting authority.
- Participate in the counselling process conducted by the respective state or central authorities.
- Choose your preferred dental colleges in UP or elsewhere from the available options.
- Confirm your seat by paying the admission fee and submitting the necessary documents.
The fees for the BDS course vary depending on the type and location of the best BDS colleges in UP or elsewhere. Generally, government colleges charge less fees than private colleges. Some of the factors that influence the fees of BDS colleges in Delhi NCR and elsewhere are:
- The reputation and ranking of the college
- The availability of seats and demand for the course
- The facilities and infrastructure of the college
- The faculty and staff of the college
- The location and cost of living of the college
Many colleges in India offer the BDS course. However, not all of them are approved by DCI or offer quality education and placement opportunities. Some of the factors that you should consider while choosing among the best BDS colleges in UP and elsewhere are:
- Accreditation and recognition of the college by DCI and other authorities
- The curriculum of the course
- Qualifications and experience of the faculty and staff
- Infrastructure and facilities of the college
- Placement record and alumni network of the college
- Fee structure and scholarship options offered by the college
- Location and accessibility of the college
Based on these factors, some of the best BDS colleges in UP and the rest of India are:
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow
- Nair Hospital Dental College, Mumbai
- Government Dental College and Hospital, Ahmedabad
- DJ College of Dental Sciences and Research, Delhi NCR
- Christian Dental College, Ludhiana
- AB Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
After graduating from BDS colleges in UP or elsewhere, you will have various career paths to choose from. You can either pursue higher studies, such as a Master of Dental Surgery (MDS), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) in various dental specialities, or you can start working as a dentist in various settings, such as:
- Government or private hospitals and clinics
- Dental colleges and universities
- Research institutes and organizations
- Military and defence services
- NGOs and social welfare organizations
- Dental product manufacturing companies
- Dental tourism industry
You can also start your private practice or consultancy after gaining some experience and reputation. You can also specialise in a particular branch of dentistry at BDS colleges in Ghaziabad or elsewhere, such as:
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Prosthodontics and Crown and Bridge
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Periodontics and Implantology
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry
- Oral Pathology and Microbiology
- Oral Medicine and Radiology
- Public Health Dentistry
We hope that this blog has eased all your queries about the intricacies of the BDS admission process. While the course at the best BDS colleges in UP and other parts of India is not cheap by any means, it can be a worthwhile investment, especially considering the high earnings dentists take home. On top of that, being a dentist comes with a sense of personal fulfilment, as you’ll be the protector of the all-important human characteristic – our smiles!
1. How many seats does DJ College of Dental Sciences and Research offer for its BDS course?
DJ College of Dental Sciences and Research offers 100 seats for its BDS course.
2. Is NEET PG valid for admission to a BDS course?
No, to get admission to a BDS course, you’ll need to appear and qualify in the NEET- UG entrance exam.
3. Are there entrance exams for BDS other than NEET?
Yes, some colleges have their own entrance exams on the basis of which they take admission to their BDS courses.
4. What is the DCI?
DCI refers to the Dental Council of India, the regulatory body that certifies dentists to practice in the country, as well as oversees everything related to dental education.