Want to know the worst thing about your wedding? It only lasts a day.
So of course – you want to plan something as unforgettable as possible!
By making it distinctly special, and going the extra mile to make it yours. We’ve put together 15 unique ideas for your wedding day. Pick a few, and we guarantee your big day will secure a special place in the memory of each and every guest there celebrating with you.
Wedding Décor Ideas
How you choose to decorate the venue is personal, and will set the tone of your wedding day. Perhaps you’ve already picked a theme or style, and if so, feel free to modify these tips so they work with your overall aesthetic.
1. Create a custom logo with both your and your fiancée’s initials and use it throughout the décor
2. Get creative with the tablescape. Make it bright and colorful by choosing fun patterned tablecloths, or accenting with thrifted colored glass with small blooms of wildflowers. Use fruit instead of floral centerpieces. Decorate with driftwood. Create custom place cards.
If your wedding is themed, the table decor is a great place to take it up a notch.
3. Create a wow-worthy feature wall or backdrop. It can be made by stitching leafy green branches into a large piece of burlap, the size of a bedsheet. Or, take a branch and secure it horizontally, then hang rows of string lights from it.
Want to inject a little humor or really play up a theme? Get a realistic backdrop. And while you’re at it, why not include a few costume-like props?
Your guests will have a blast posing for pictures in front of whatever moment you decide to create.
4. Have a “comfort station” with blankets, flip-flops, bug spray (if it’s an outdoor to-do) and if there’s a shortage, include a comfy seat… a love seat of course.
5. Don’t forget the flooring! Vintage rugs, a red carpet, piles of pillows and soft textiles all help designate the purpose of different areas in the venue. Overall, this works beautifully to tie the look and vibe of your big day together in a memorable, cozy and cohesive way.
6. Instamatic cameras are always a hoot. Set up a table with a few so guests can include the instant camera snaps along with their special sentiments and well wishes in your guest book.
7. If you’re having a dreamy outdoor wedding, have a garland station – a place where you female guests can create their own floral crown. Having your guests wearing something that ties to the wedding theme makes it that much more beautiful and impactful.
8. Hiring a live musician to play the harp, flute, or violin as you walk down the aisle makes for a perfect moment. It’s so dreamy, so beautiful, that there won’t be a dry eye in the house. Your guests will probably cling to that image of you looking absolutely exquisite, while the soft romantic music plays – and let’s be real – who doesn’t want that?
9. Use unexpected (yet comfy) seating. It can play into your theme, if you have one. You can also dress up drab seating with bows, ribbons and silks.
10. Create a memorable aisle. Line it with little jars of flowers or flickering tea lights. Make it from driftwood, or a collection of beautiful things you’ve found. Lighting is a great way to add to the wow factor.
11. Your bridesmaids and the dresses they wear are like living works of art. Choose wisely. Don’t worry though, finding the perfect dress is fun! Especially when you get to choose from a beautiful selection.
Ideas for the Wedding Reception
12. Your food can play homage to your heritage, or be part of the wedding theme itself. Serve a delicious barbeque feast, complete with buttery cornbread, mashed potatoes, green beans cooked with little cubes of bacon, and brisket that falls off the bone.
Or go a different route—serve appetizers. Dainty little delicate finger sandwiches cut into neat triangles.
Food and drink go hand in hand with celebrating and don’t be afraid to veer away from tradition.
13. Just like food, music is a vital component of any celebration.
Have a place where guests can request songs, perhaps by writing them down and putting them in a hat. Hearing their song is sure to delight every guest, and it’s a fun dynamic way to include everyone – get them dancing and singing along.
14. You know those caricature artists who do those really fast, fun exaggerated portraits of people? Well, did you know you can hire them to do your guests’ portraits on your wedding day? Seriously, who needs a photo booth when you have a real-life artist!
15. Those who really want to knock the reception out of the park should consider hiring a comedian or celebratory impersonator. Like, if you’ve got a ‘60s rock ‘n roll theme going on, who better to show up and entertain everyone than Elvis?
With all the little details you can include and special touches you can add, your wedding day will be bursting with precious memorable moments, and reflected upon with warmth, laughter, and joy for years to come.